What is The Next Step Virtual Marathon?
The Next Step is Focus Ireland’s Virtual Marathon, supported by Horizon Therapeutics!
You have 30 days this April to walk, jog or run the 42.2km distance of a marathon. Not only will you be getting active as part of this personal challenge, but you will be fundraising for Focus Ireland to fight family homelessness. You just need to ask your friends, family or colleagues to sponsor you to complete the challenge and all funds you raise will support Focus Ireland’s vital work. When you sign up, you will get your own fundraising page where you can get donations from your friends family and colleagues.
At Focus Ireland, we believe emergency accommodation is no place for a child. We need your support now more than ever to help move families and children out of homelessness amidst a global pandemic.
Where do I complete my walk/jog/run?
The Next Step Virtual Marathon can be completed wherever you want! If you love walking the dog in the park in the evening, or if you enjoy a 5km run on a Saturday morning, then this challenge is for you! All you need to do is complete the 42.2km distance in the 30 days of April and you can do your activity wherever you want!
Do I need to run the marathon?
No - you can walk or jog the 42.2km distance to complete the marathon by the end of April. Whatever works for you!
What do I need to do to take part?
- Register HERE and you will receive your own fundraising page where your sponsors can donate to you!
- Ask your family, friends and colleagues to sponsor you to complete the challenge and share your fundraising page link online to seek support.
- Track your kilometres by manually entering them into your JustGiving fundraising page, or you can connect your fundraising page to Strava and your KMs will automatically be tracked during April.
Do I need to pay a registration fee?
No – it is free to take part in Focus Ireland’s The Next Step. You will just need to register HERE and raise vital funds to support people experiencing homelessness.
How do I get an online fundraising page?
You will automatically receive a fundraising page with JustGiving when you register for the event HERE. Your fundraising page link will be e-mailed to you and you can share this link with your friends, family and colleagues so they can donate to you. You can also share this link on social media. WhatsApp or e-mail it to people within your company/organisation.
How do my friends, family or colleagues sponsor me?
Your friends, family and colleagues can sponsor you via your JustGiving fundraising page. There is a credit card payment option for donations. All funds will be automatically transferred to Focus Ireland if you pay in this way.
Someone wants to sponsor me in cash or cheque – what do I do?
There are three options if someone gives you cash or a cheque:
1. You can lodge the cash/cheque yourself and pay via credit card to your online fundraising page.
2. You can call 01 8815900 and someone at Focus Ireland will take the donation over the phone
3. You can post cheques to Focus Ireland’s address below. Please make sure you include The Next Step as a reference with your name and e-mail address:
9-12 High St
Do I need to set a fundraising target?
We suggest you set a target of €250 if you are a member of the public, although last year the average page raised over €310. We suggest you set a target of €500 if you are participating with your company! A target is there to motivate you and every euro you raise will support families and children who are homelessness or at risk of homelessness.
How do I take part with my company/organisation?
When you are registering for The Next Step, you just need to select your company/organisation from the dropdown and all the funds you raise as part of the challenge will be added to your company/organisation total.
If your company is not on the list, please select 'My company is not on the list' while registering and someone at Focus Ireland will be in touch to get your company/organisation set up.
Want more information on company participation? Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be happy to help
Can we complete The Next Step as a team?
Yes, you can complete the challenge together with your friends, family or colleagues as a team! When you register you just need to create a new team or join one if it has already been set up.
How do I create a team for The Next Step?
If you are the person setting up a team, please follow these steps:
- Register HERE for the event and follow the steps to create your own fundraising page.
- Once you have registered you will then see a ‘create team’ button.
- Choose a team name for the group.
- Well done – your team is now created! Send the team page to your team members and get them to join the team by clicking the 'Join Team' button when they are setting up their page.
How do I join a team or company fundraising group if one has already been created?
If someone has already set up a team or company page, you can select the 'Join Team' button at the end of registration, when you've created your fundraising page. You can then search for the team you want to join.
What is JustGiving?
JustGiving is the online fundraising platform supporting Focus Ireland’s The Next Step Virtual Marathon. Using JustGiving is safe and secure and your page will automatically be generated when you register for the event.
Can I link my fitness wearable or tracker to my fundraising page?
Yes – you can link your Fitbit or tracking device to your JustGiving fundraising page via Strava. You can see all the fitness devices Strava supports HERE.